Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Insects


This was my bug center during student teaching a couple of years ago. The parts were Velcroed on, so they could label the bug themselves. They could dig for a bug (plastic), too. How fun, right? I created a worksheet that had them draw a picture of their insect, name it, and answer a couple of questions about it. Bug books and puzzles were there for any time leftover.

I made a similar center in my own classroom last year, but my insect wasn't quite as big (no room!). I did make it more accurate second time around though.

I taught three songs with my unit:
1. "The Ants Go Marching"
2.  "Head, Thorax, Abdomen"
3.  "Bugs, Bugs, Bugs"
They LOVE these songs.


Fireflies are flying around my door this year! We've begun our unit with the songs and some great books. The center will be open next week!

April 15, we're heading to the zoo! In May we'll begin our intensive unit study on butterflies, featuring The Very Hungry Caterpillar. 

1 comment:

  1. I still get "Head, Thorax, Abdomen" stuck in my head from time to time.

    ReplyDelete